A History of the Bourne Police Station

August 21, 2016

The Bourne Police Department comes into existence in 1921. “General Laws Chapter 41, 97, relating to the establishment of a police department under the direction of the Selectmen. Accepted March 7, 1921.”

 

 

The Police Department operated out of the Town Hall basement from 1921 until 1934.  In 1934 the

Department was relocated to Bourne Fire Station #1, located at #130 Main Street, operating out of shared space with the Fire Department. Two portable cells were installed behind the apparatus bay and faced a daily risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

 

In 1937 a Police Building Committee was formed in an effort to create a facility strictly for the Police. Chief William Crump proposed construction of a single story wooden facility with separate garage for police cars to either be located on land adjacent to the Town Hall (old Eldridge Lumber Yard) or adjacent to the Stowell property in Bourne village (current Briggs/McDermott House). The estimated cost was $10,000. This proposal was never acted on.

 

 

In 1937, after construction of two annex wings to the Bourne Town Hall, the Police Department returned there, vacating the fire station. The Police Department took up residence at Town Hall in the left wing which currently contains the Selectmen/Town Administrators offices. A small cell block was constructed in the basement.

 

In 1958, the Town again explored the option of constructing a separate, stand alone police facility. At the first meeting of the Police Building Committee, an architect was selected (Lloyd Hendricks) and a site was selected (former Buzzards Bay schoolhouse location at 175 Main St).  The meeting minutes can be viewed in the gallery below. The motion and monies were approved at the 1958 Annual Town Meeting with Article 49.  The police station was constructed and placed into operation by June 1959.

 

In 1973, the sum of $16,780.00 was appropriated for the construction of an addition to the police station. A large storage room, large cell block/"drunk tank" was constructed. This addition mimicked in construction the existing area which contained the garage and cell block area. 

 

In 1978, the sum of $120,000 was appropriated for the construction of a second floor addition to the police station. This addition contained an office for the Chief, Chief’s Assistant, several offices for staff, a records room and a large training room. A waiver was sought and granted for the non-compliance with the ADA standards of the time (too costly to install an elevator).

 

In 1985, bomb deflection screens were purchased and installed on all windows at the police station. These items were originally discussed in 1971 for purchase.

 

Early in 1993, the dispatch area was upgraded to assist with creation of a Town of Bourne central dispatch. The radio system, originally purchased in 1986, is still used today.

 

Today, the Bourne Police Station houses over 50 sworn officers and civilian employees in a facility that has not been significantly renovated since 1978, and still does not meet ADA compliance.  To see the existing conditions of the Bourne Police Station, please click here.

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square

© 2016 by Bourne Police Facility Building Committee.

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Twitter Classic